How it works
When you run BOINC on your PC,
it works as follows (see below):
BOINC does this all automatically;
you don't have to do anything.
- Your PC gets a list of instructions from the project's
The instructions depend on your PC: for example,
the server won't give it work that requires more RAM than you have.
The instructions may include many separate pieces of work.
Projects can support several applications,
and the server may send you work from any of them.
- Your PC downloads executable and input files
from the project's data server.
If the project releases new versions of its applications,
the executable files are downloaded automatically to your PC.
- Your PC runs the application programs, producing output files.
- Your PC uploads the output files to the data server.
- Your PC reports the completed results to the scheduling server,
and gets instructions for more work.
This cycle is repeated indefinitely.